Thursday, January 16, 2014

White Chicken Chile Enchiladas

Cravings - I don't get them often but recently (as in, for the past week and a half) I have wanted chicken enchiladas so bad. I think about them and my mouth waters. I stumbled upon my chicken enchilada recipe about two years ago on the blog Texas Tales and after the first time I made them, I haven't looked back. They are not only easy to make but oh my goodness - they are DELICIOUS.

I started doing ViSalus almost two weeks ago and I'm supposed to be eating "sensible" meals for supper each night. Every day when I'd think about supper, my brain (and my stomach) would say "eat chicken enchiladas...eat chicken enchiladas.." but I had decided that they weren't really what you'd call a sensible meal. Yesterday, I just gave up on trying to decide if it would be sensible or not, stopped at the grocery store and bought what I needed and made them. And I'm so glad I did. Because they were just as wonderful as I remembered. Which is why I'm sharing the recipe with you!

Seasoning the chicken...yum, yum, yum...

Keeping an eye on both eyes...cooking up some goodness!

White Chicken Chile Enchiladas

-2 large cans white meat chicken, drained
-1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used Mexican blend)
-1 small can green chile's
-3 tbsp. flour
-3 tbsp. butter
-1 8 ounces can chicken broth
-2 heaping tbsp. of sour cream
-cumin
-chili powder
-pepper

This enchilada sauce is the best!

Drain you cans of chicken; warm over medium heat seasoning with pepper, cumin and chili powder. Mix in 1 cup of your shredded cheese and half of the small can of chile's to make chicken mixture for filling of enchiladas.

Put the chicken mixture in large flour tortillas; lay tortillas lengthwise in a non-stick pan. Preheat the oven to 350.

In a large saucepan, combine 3 tbsp. of flour & 3 tbsp. of butter over low heat. Slowly add in chicken broth and bring to a low boil, letting the butter, flour and broth thicken. Whisk in 2 tbsp. of sour cream and half of the can of chile's into the sauce, turning down the heat on the sauce. You want the sour cream to mix into the sauce but you don't want it to boil - that would cause the sour cream to curdle. Allow to "cook" for about five minutes so all the ingredients are well mixed.

Ladle the sauce on top of the rolled enchiladas in your pan. You can put as much or as little sauce as you'd like; I usually put about half of the sauce (it makes a lot) on my enchiladas and refrigerate the leftover sauce for another batch! Sprinkle the 1/2 cup of leftover cheese on the top of enchiladas.

Cook for 22 minutes at 350. Enjoy!

So delicious!

Hey - maybe it wasn't sensible but it was so worth it. And absolutely yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment